In Victoria, there are many patients with conventional dentures. Over time, dentures, like anything else, can become worn and must be replaced. Dr. Adam Pite can create well-fitting, great looking standard dentures. There are a few important details that Dr. Pite feels is important to denture design:
1) having natural looking teeth with a realistic smile shape
2) having sufficient bulk beneath the lips to fill out sunken faces that are the result of bone loss. We do not just place plastic teeth in mouth to provide chewing – we use the denture to restore attractive face contours
3) creating realistic patient expectations. Dentures are not like natural teeth, however, over 75% of patients can become used to the function of a standard denture. However, some patients will never become accustomed to a foreign object in their mouths.
For these patients, we have the option of placing implants to help to retain and ideally, support dentures. Many of our patients have had their quality of life restored by using implants to “lock” down a denture so stability is as near as is possible to natural teeth.
For implant dentures (also called implant overdentures), patients regain:
1) function to eat foods they likely have not been able to
2) proper speech without plastic over their palate like with regular dentures
3) taste, for the same reason
4) confidence that their teeth will not fall out or move
5) general quality of life
6) and retain jawbone that is more quickly lost when a regular denture is used
If you believe you are ready for a change in quality of life, call us and arrange for a consultation!